Slice of Life 2020 – Day 1
Here I am back to blogging after a five year lapse. So many changes took me away from my passion for writing.
- a grade change from kindergarten to fourth grade
- our daughter moved back home after college to begin her own teaching career.
- the whirlwind of following a highschool athlete’s schedule
- my father passed away suddenly
- my sister in law passed away six weeks later
- the constant grind of a “doing” life instead of “living” life
These changes have also drawn me back to writing because I recently retired after thirty-three years of teaching and am discovering how to feel whole again.
- Where am I going?
- How am I growing?
- Who will I be next after 33 years as an elementary teacher?
The Slice of Life 2020 blogging challenge will take on a different role for my writing than it did while in the classroom as I reflect and make discoveries about my new retired life. As a teacher I modeled the writing life alongside my students, however conferring always seemed to take precedence and my own stories lay dormant in my notebooks.
About two weeks ago, feeling ready to tackle something new, I noticed through all the months of tidying up and decluttering (my house and my brain), my notebooks were waiting patiently among my most valued items from all my years of teaching. Inside my precious Writer’s Notebooks lay many seeds for writing, and I’m confident my daily slices will be be sown, watered, weeded, and grow for each of the daily challenges. I’ll be embracing SLO202 as my opportunity to pick up the pen and notebook once again.
I woke up today to do my morning yoga practice with Yoga with Adrienne to learn the theme for this new month just happens to be “CREATE.” Seems fitting!